Here's a GREAT article on tooth brushing tips for caregivers.
The National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research suggests these steps if the patient can't brush his or her own teeth:
- Wash your hands and wear disposable gloves.
- Gently remove dentures or partials.
- Check between the teeth and cheeks for bits of food, swiping the area with a gloved finger or damp gauze.
- Use a brush with soft bristles.
- Use a small amount of fluoride toothpaste.
- Hold the brush bristles at an angle toward the gum line so they clean between the gums and teeth.
- Brush the teeth on all sides using small circular motions, then brush the tongue.
- If the person you care for cannot rinse, give a drink of water or sweep the mouth with a finger wrapped in damp gauze.
Link to full article :